French wrought iron hinges are becoming more common in homes across the United States.But they might just be the next big thing for the tool industry.Wrought iron hinge design is based on the basic principle of an arc weld.The arc weld is a simple method of welding metal plates that have been stacked.This is the basic idea behind wrenched iron hinges.The hinges were made from a combination of the ...
On the night of Dec. 8, 2017, a man and woman died and dozens of others were injured when the wrought iron balconies on two of Albuquerque’s busiest intersections collapsed.
That’s when a man named Joshua Martin, who’d worked as a labourer in a nearby industrial park, fell from the second balcony onto the first balcony.
Martin was pronounced dead at the scene.
Police were called but found no sign of Martin and called off the investigation.
Police later determined Martin had taken his own life.
On Dec. 11, 2017 , the Albuquerque City Council voted to declare the balconies in question unsafe, and they remain on the city’s demolition list.
On the day of Martin’s death, he was seen walking down the street in a green shirt and black hat, looking into a window with a knife.
He’d been working as a worker in the industrial park at the time.
“I’ve been working with the same company for 10 years,” Martin told CBC News.
“It’s really sad.”
When the balcony collapse happened, Martin was one of the workers who survived.
“My partner and I were on our lunch break at the same restaurant,” he said.
“The next thing I know, I hear the building on fire.”
“It was the biggest, biggest thing I’ve ever seen,” he added.
The balconies collapsed as part of the work being done on the project.
The first balcony, which was about 50 centimetres tall, was just one of a dozen buildings that were to be demolished.
The second balcony was only one of two that had already been completed.
Martin, 29, was working as an electrician when the balcony collapsed.
“We’ve been here for over a year,” he told CBC.
“You don’t see that in your neighbourhood.
We’re a small city.”
The next day, Martin and his co-workers were told the balconys were not safe for people to walk down.
“They told us to put our hands in the air and say ‘don’t touch anything,'” he said of the city.
“That was a joke, that we were not supposed to touch anything.”
The second worker said he felt the same way.
“If you look at the balcony, you could see that it was not safe to walk on,” he recalled.
“When the fire happened, we were all just trying to go through our shift and get some food and some water.”
On Dec 16, 2017 — less than two weeks after Martin’s work was stopped — the city called a special meeting to review the balconie situation.
On a report of the meeting, city inspectors found the balconied buildings to be unsafe, but the council’s mayor, Kevin Faulconer, said the decision was made because there was no evidence that the balconia’s construction had been breached.
Faulconester also said the city had decided not to pursue the balcony construction, citing the fact that the first balconies were complete.
The next night, Martin went to work.
“People were talking to me in the car about how I looked,” he explained.
“But I was like, ‘you know, this is the real world.
This is what it’s like in the real life.'”
Martin said he had not heard from his boss since he was killed.
“He never talked to me,” he continued.
“Every time I talk to him, he says ‘oh, I don’t even know what to say.
I don, I know I’m sorry.
I just can’t.”
In January 2018, a new plan to replace the balconying on the two buildings was announced.
“This is a very important work, that’s what we’re working on,” Mayor Faulconers brother-in-law, Eric Garcia, said.
Garcia, who’s also an engineer, said he was shocked when he learned about Martin’s passing.
“Everyone was surprised because it was one and the same,” he noted.
“There’s nothing that’s different.”
“There were no signs of this in the park.
So we had no idea what was going on,” said Garcia.
“So I thought, why didn’t the city tell us?”
Garcia, a lawyer, told CBC that he has a “very hard time believing” the city did not have the information it needed.
“For example, the first two balconies are completely safe.
So the city has to have the data on those.”
On Jan. 6, 2018, the city released a new, more detailed report on the balconice situation.
“In a nutshell, there was a failure of a structural engineer, a structural contractor and an engineer to maintain the structure of the structure,” the report states.
The city had also received “substantial concerns” from some of the balcony owners that they could be liable for damages to the balconist buildings.
“All of the balconists are now being demolished,” said Faulconero. “Nobody